Monday, December 22, 2008

Artist takes a few days off....

I took a few days off last week to run some errands and have coffee with a friend. I did paint three painting by Wednesday, so I didn't feel too bad. I had to go to Michael's, which is bad enough when it isn't Christmas time because they usually have one register open. At least they had another open. It is their busiest time of the year, so it was packed. Somehow, I always pick the wrong line to get in with my giant canvases. I have a knack for picking the line where the lady in front of me is returning all manner of imitation greenery and doo-dads. Always. By the time I got to Michael's I was already a bit roughed up by having to go to the post office on the way. No need to say what the post office is like this time of year. There I was surrounded by people with stacks of packages, little slip of paper in hand to pickup a missed package.
Then when I got home I had two rejection letters in the mail. One on a proposal and one for a juried show. I really can honestly say that this was not as annoying as the line thing....

I am finding it difficult to get into the swing today. We are in the process of buying a house, and everything we looked at over the weekend was awful. We came away quite disappointed yet enlightened and now must reassess what is realistic for us, but it means the loss of some things I had in mind and heart. I am a little down, I guess and for me that usually means apathy.

2 comments:

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Wish I could help Tracey. Sometimes it is a good thing to just have some down time and come to terms with what I call "da funk". I generally come of that period with a better outlook and sometimes there is the added perk of a spark coming out of no where that inspires more creativity. I hope that makes sense and happens for you.

The emotional roller coaster of house hunting, now THAT IS a real challenge. Best of luck there too. In this market, maybe you will find a real treasure at a bargain. I sure hope so.

I've so enjoyed your recent paintings of the day. They do make me smile.

Kathleen

Unknown said...

I LOVE your parakeet! I am so happy I found your blog, I'll bookmark you.
Finding a house that feels right for your family is very emotional. And I'm sure the prices are high in your area, but maybe you'll find a good deal because of the current state of the economy. I wish you the best.