Friday, December 28, 2007

pondering and reflecting.......

Such a weird day......post Christmas, cloudy and cold. I sat down at the easel at 1 pm.....a bit of a late start.

When I sit and ponder my art(I never "sit and ponder"...just sounds good) a recurring thought comes up in my mind. The idea of narrative in painting. This isn't a new genre but it certainly is a rare on in current art trends. Rockwell was probably the last great American narrative painter. And while I don't envision narrative in its pure form for my own work I am drawn to the idea as a piece of the story. As if you crack open a book and read four or five lines. It is a descriptive moment without context.

While reflecting (also a word that sounds good) on why I fell in love with art and wanted to be an artist in the first place I recall mythology and surrealism being the major catalysts. I think I need to revisit these two ideas. I am also really interested in anthropomorphism which is prevalent in mythology. I believe this is so prevalent and common to the human experience and throughout history not because we are derived from animals but because we have a common Creator........

No comments: