Thursday, December 03, 2009

Today's Painting

This particular painting has been hanging around unfinished for a long time. It is one of the few paintings that I was wrong on for the original idea. Usually, a painting ends up almost exactly like the original vision. This one had at least four different transitions of idea and many, many countless hours of painting and repainting.

It also has been to source of hours of frustration, despair and doubt since I began so long ago. At least one thing I have learned from it is persistence in the presence of pain.

Having loved this baboon from the moment I saw him and I knew somewhere in that image was a character to be created and a story to unfold. The last few days he has become a beacon of creative energy. I am so grateful for that gift today.

Now....what would he sitting on?..........

2 comments:

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Hi Tracey!

I have watched as this baboon has evolved. All the different scenarios...and now as I see him in this rendition, I feel you have definitely found the right conclusion for him and this painting. To me it looks like he is sitting on mother earth. It all looks so right. The beautiful sky with lovely clouds. This is so gorgeous and I have enjoyed watching your creative process on this one. Bravo Tracey! You did it!!! I knew you would. :)

Dean Grey said...

Tracey!

I love the cloud formations and how they almost run on an angle, mimicking the baboon's tilted head.

You know what I thought he was sitting on after giving it some thought? It looks like part of a giant python.

Sounds strange, I know, but that's what I first thought!

-Dean