Monday, January 25, 2010

Thinking....

There are those who would have you believe as an artist that success is all about the product. Certainly, your art is of vital importance and it is imperative to follow that creative passion without concern about who will buy or how it will sell. People can tell if you aren't all that into it. But is really and truly is a numbers game. The more you get your work out into the world, the more response you will get in return. I suppose this is a true principle in most areas of vocation.

A year ago, I made the decision to do the work I felt lead to do and to make a concerted effort to promote that work. I am amazed at the response. Beyond all the encouraging words, which are very important, people actually want to spend their hard earned money to own one of my paintings. I have had the blessing of three exhibits over the last four months which generated a lot of interest and several sales. Some of these people have found me on the internet. I just shipped off "Ovis Nectarus" to New York to a woman who sent me five postdated checks over a period of months to buy that painting. It is about to happen again. Because a person saw my work at the Athenaeum, she looked me up on the web, saw a painting she loved and tonight I am meeting with her to discuss purchase.

I say all these things not to brag. Everything I have ever been given is a gift from God. I have had my doubts, putting up obstacles of my own making because I was afraid to fail. But I want to encourage everyone who has a dream to step on out onto the path despite fear or the "they says." Just have a willingness to do the disciplined work, consistently get it out there and watch what happens.

Today, I am grateful to each of you. To those who have encouraged me with words and to those who have supported my dream with their money. Love you all....

Come on to the "Myth and Magic", our three woman show if you are around. Saturday February 6th, 6-8 p.m. at the Caton-Merchant Gallery old town Manassas. Some of you I have never met. I would love to see you there.

6 comments:

Peter Brown said...

Tracy, it's great to see success come your way - you've worked hard and truly deserve it. I'm very happy for you!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hey, don't forget that hard work and seriousness of purpose, not to mention having an authentic story to tell helps! You have done so well, Tracey, and it is well-deserved.

Kathleen Krucoff said...

I am so happy for you Tracey. I must add well-deserved too. You are in inspiration to me.

prosperous1 said...

I know how hard you have worked to get to this point in your career. You have persevered. You have fought through challenging personal battles and have overcome obstacles that seemed insurmountable at times. Look what the Lord can do with a willing heart. I am so very proud to be counted one of your friends.

Dean Grey said...

Tracey!

It is well-deserved my friend! Well-deserved!

I hope more and more people find your work and discover your talents.

-Dean

Unknown said...

Very well done Tracey, its very true what you say. I also think that if we paint in exactly the way we want it will be our best work. Its the only way to be original, we all think differently. Personally I still think very much about the potential buyers, and this limits my creativity sometimes. I have ideas but dont have the courage to go through with them-perhaps its time to experiment!
Please check your email Tracey.