Monday, February 09, 2009

Currently on the easel: Painting that is Threatening My Sanity

Having to face the current painting this morning and still be in a battle this late in the day is disheartening. I am not even going to post a photo, but you can see it as it was before today by looking at previous posts. The reworked background is still unsatisfactory. A break for lunch (and for my sanity) before going back.
I may have to put this one aside for the week and move on to another painting looming in the wings. There is a point where you have worked and reworked until the medium laden canvas needs to rest. I look at my lovely subject and feel like I am abandoning him there is some watery dream without his friends, who have been painted over.

2 comments:

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Tracey, I think you are very smart for just setting this one aside for now. I find that when I force something, I keep making mistakes. If I just walk away, generally the next time I approach it, everything comes together.

Taking a break, working on something else, is a great thing to do...from my perspective.

Wishing you all the best! I know you will find what you want for this painting.

:) Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Poor baboon does look sad and lonely. I hear you, sister, when you talk about "bad" days in the studio; about reworking until you want to pull your hair out; and about abandoning a painting until the right day and time comes along to finish it.
I can't tell you how many canvases I have walked away from.
I find that is it best to just start afresh on a new canvas another thought. You will finish baboon, just not today.