Thursday, March 23, 2006

Here we go again

I haven’t posted a James Dobson rant lately, so…….HERE YOU GO.
The program this week was a two part show about a family in the midwest that had adopted a few so-called unadoptable kids with serious issues. I was enjoying it. Touching. Nice folks to do such a thing. Then Dobson has to say how great it is that this family lives on a ranch out in the middle of know where so that these kids are being raised "uncorrupted by the culture."
This is exactly the attitude of the christian right that perpetuates the image that christians are narrow, uneducated and afraid of anything or anyone who doesn’t think or believe what they do. It has serious cultic overtones…and, by golly, its just plain weird. And the root of it is fear.

If christian kids do not learn how to engage and answer the culture, we will end up with yet another uneffective generation of christians who are laughed and not taken very seriously. One of the reasons why I was an athiest for so long was because when I encountered a christian, I encountered a self righteous, out of touch person without a clue as to what life is like in the world and no one could give me an answer as to why I should believe in Christ other than I would go to hellif I didn’t. There was nothing compelling to me about it, just a lot of rules and regulations. I was having more fun and living more life than a lot of the christians I met. I suppose that is why God took it upon himself to introduce himslef in such a dramatic way. There wasn’t anyone who could answer my questions in a valid manner.

1 comment:

Tracey Clarke said...

Yeah, away from the corruption of culture just as Jesus would have them do. Just like He did - ran away from all unholy things and locked himself up in a cabin in the woods. I grew up in a Christian family - didn’t live on a ranch, though, and went to public school, so I guess I’m thoroughly corrupted by culture - shame on my parents. Anyway, to my shock I’m finding myself increasingly frustrated (or enraged) by “Christian” things, much more so than secular things … signs, books, speakers, e-mail forwards …. I guess I expect a lot more and take it much more personally. It takes all my will power not to completely dismantle the church signs that read “God Answers Knee-Mail.” Agh!!! Is it possible to make Christians looks more like hokey, bumbling idots?!?! Whew. Sorry, I let those stupid signs really work me up. Oh wait! And I was just given a book by a very well-meaning Christian couple writen by a pastor. Among many other things, the guy brings up that babies can hear in the womb (some fabulous point about being careful what music you play if you’re around a baby in utero) … anyway, he actually says that science is just now discovering what the Bible has taught all along. You wanna know which Bible story he references to prove his point? Come on - give it a try. Nothing? How about when John the Baptist lept in Elizabeth’s womb when she hears Mary’s greeting (Luke 1). Seriously. I threw this book across the room at one point. I love my Lord. I love my faith. Why do Christians have to say and do such ridiculous things?! (Boy, I’m glad I never do … that would be REALLY embarrasing).

Comment by Couchen — 5/4/2006 @ 5:06 pm