Monday, May 10, 2010

Back to the easel??...

There are so, so many things to do when you buy a house. I feel like my brain is swimming with possibilities. I have not had the time to even think about painting over the last five weeks, and now suddenly it is back to it and wow, I feel kind of brain dead! It has caught me off guard, to be honest, and I feel like I want to do nothing......like I need a vacation after all that has transpired since March from looking for and buying the house, all the roadblocks with the purchase, packing, moving and unpacking. What I thought would be a jumping back to the easel Monday has been more like a looking at the easel, walking around it, pondering unfinished paintings and a kind of "lostness" over it all.

This past Friday was First Friday in Fredericksburg so Craig and I headed out to go to openings and visit local galleries. A lot of people were out and about and I did get to see a few local artist friends, but I was surprised that it did not motivate and inspire me to paint as these events normally do. So, I guess I will go with it for now.

To my horror Sunday, I saw the nesting robin sitting on bare wood under my deck. I found the nest on the ground with three little blue eggs laying around it. It was either the high winds or a predator, like a crow or squirrel. One was broken, so I put the other two back in and secured the nest back in place with picture wire and waited. She returned in about fifteen minutes and sat on them. Robins are really particular, so I was skeptical that the pair would stay tending the nest. Yesterday, while looking from above the deck through the boards and saw only one egg in the nest, so one was taken. I haven't seen the robins since, so it has been abandoned. Today, I am going to climb up and get the other egg out. I plan on putting a nesting shelf under there for next year.

I leave you with Patte Ormsby's work. I saw one of Patte's pieces ot the FCCA opening this past Friday and was riveted.

2 comments:

Dean Grey said...

You will get back to painting, Tracey, when the time is right for YOU.

How nice of you to try and rescue those robin's eggs!

-Dean

Erik van Elven said...

Hope you come back soon Tracey.
The longer you wait, the harder it becomes. Buy a few new art supplies or do a plein air painting just to get the creative juices flowing again.