Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Paintings and Happy Accidents

I have had so many sad accidents lately, I am thankful for a happy one. I need more happy accidents, please.

I have used equal parts stand oil and mineral spirits solely as my medium since I started using oil paint. A painter I took a class from a few years back uses it, so I started using it not knowing much about mediums. His paintings look good, he knows what he is doing, so why not?


Well, I hate it. It is sticky, really thick and gunky (or is that "gooky?") I went through my drawer full of painting add-ons and found a little glass bottle of refined linseed oil. Man, what the hell?! Love it! Where have I been using this other crap?! No offense to those who use stand oil. So, you can hear my intense feeling about this, because it comes on the heels of the baboon painting, which has been a veritable nightmare. I am really tired of dealing with it, which is a really bad place to be regarding a painting.
Here is a new painting I am in the beginning stages of working on. I have a long way to go, but lets hope it isn't as long as the above. Oh, but I have a magic medium from heaven, now, so no worries, right?



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Linseed oil...medium of the gods I take it? I'm glad you did have a happy accident. As for this new ... is this a llama mama?
:o)

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Tracey-- I just love the beginnings of this one. I only hope that my happy accidents turn out as well as yours. Looks like a beautiful buck to me, what will you be doing with the antlers???? I can hardly wait to see your progress. :)