Friday, July 18, 2008

Quick to observe, slow to speak

The amazing Art Biz blog has a discussion going called "Deep Thursday: Questions or Comments that turn your stomach." There are many "amen" posts from artists of every discipline. A few of my favorites that I resonate with are:

"How long did it take you to paint that?" and

"Why don't you paint X, X is what really sells well."


My contribution to the feed the use of words like "cute" or "adorable" to describe my paintings. Kill me now.


I had an exchange with someone close to me that used those words. I told this person to please go back and look at the painting she was referring to as "cute." To take some time and process the image and resist the impulse to go with her immediate impression. This is a most unfortunate weakness in our current culture...this immediate assessment, a summing up based on preconceived ideas. Left brained, indeed.

My friend returned with a new perspective on that painting...an "aha" moment of enlightenment. And I am wonderfully thankful that the words "adorable" and "cute" no longer suited her interpretation.

No comments: