Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Because I have had so many inquiries about small 5" x 7" paintings on panel, there is now an official link on my website so those interested can find all the specifics in one place.

This has been a week of catching up with friends and updating my website. I did find time to work on the baboon and tamarin paintings yesterday and I am quite excited about the direction they are headed. I pick up the work from the Athenaeum on Sunday and it is nice to bring home a lot less than I dropped off. I hope to have a few paintings to add to those for the Caton Merchant show which opens on the 4th of February.

Being an artist who likes to introduce other artists, I leave you with Greg Simkins work today. For me, creativity coupled with technique is the one quality that attracts me to most art. Greg's work is really at the pinnacle of that mountain. Though I don't always connect with his work on an emotional level, I am blown out of the water each time I see one of his new paintings. As someone who works with narrative, I often wish he would share verbal bits of info along with his paintings. Coming from a graffiti background, for descriptive purposes, his work falls under the pop surrealistic category. I am sure your responses will sit along the spectrum, so let me have it.
And, uh, yes that is acrylic paint he uses. Amazing.


"Damsel"
c. Greg "Craola" Simkins

4 comments:

Maureen said...

Simkins's work is amazing. I will take a closer look at his Website.

Sometime over the next couple of weeks, I'd like to work up some questions for an interview with you. I'll keep in touch. And I'll add a note about your Feb. 4 show to my 1/8 edition of All Art Friday.

Wishing you much success in the New Year!

Unknown said...

You have had a great year Tracey, hope next year brings you even more success! Love the pic of your dog;o)

Dean Grey said...

Tracey!

Wow! Greg's work looks unbelievable!!

Such a whimsical illustrative style, mixed with a touch of darkness to keep it edgy and cool!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

-Dean

Gary Keimig said...

His work really is fantastic. Not really into that kind of thing but can sure appreciate what he is doing. And in Acrylic. My most troublesome medium.
Thanks for sharing and HAPPY NEW YEAR