Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Wright to Read program

Tonight, kids in the literacy program Wright to Read are coming to the Athenaeum gallery to hear me talk a bit about creativity and then choose one of my paintings in the exhibit to write a short story about. This is new territory for me, but I am really excited about interacting with kids and promoting the importance of creativity and imagination. And, of course, I am very interested in hearing the stories they create. I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow along with photos.

While cruising around Etsy yesterday, I stumbled across the most brilliant and beautiful sculptures by artist Robin VanValkenburgh. I cannot find much about her process, but I think she uses antique molds to make the sculptures. I have my eye on this one.



c. Robin VanValkenburgh
"Matilda Marrie"

2 comments:

Maureen said...

I will look forward to reading your post tomorrow about tonight's event.

I would be fun to publish the kids' stories.

Love Robin's work and the idea of using the antique molds.

Dean Grey said...

Tracey!

I'm really curious to hear what the children think of your work too! They have such creative imaginations and it'll be fun to know what they think!

I ADORE that sculpture! Robin has outdone herself. So cute and unique looking!!

-Dean