Thursday, January 22, 2009

Andrew Wyeth

Aside from Wyeth's body of work, more encouraging is what he represented in the art world. Andrew Wyeth was greatly criticized, particularly as an "emerging" (stupid word) artist, because he "emerged" at the height of the modern art movement and his work was antithetical to that movement. While everyone was jumping on the modern bandwagon, he had a vision. He knew who he was, what he was doing and how to tap into his internal passion for painting. He followed his gut.

There are a few bandwagons around for artists to jump on today and many are hopping on up. When I am tempted to put a leg over a wagon I think of Andrew Wyeth and go back to my vision and remember how priceless it is to have the priveledge of bring to life paintings I believe deeply in creating regardless of what everyone else may be painting.

We remember Wyeth, we don't remember nameless artists from the modern movement. I remember "Trodden Weed", even the feeling I get just thinking about it, but I don't remember "abstract number 102."


"Trodden Weed" 1951, Andrew Wyeth

No comments: