Thursday, November 12, 2009

Upcoming Gallery Opening

Varnishing paintings is on hold with all the rain we are having. I may be able to do a little painting today just because of this weather.

I reminded of late how much history there is in Northern Virginia area. The historic Silversmith House in Fredericksburg is the location of my current exhibit. The Athenaeum gallery where my next show will be held has quite a history as well.

The photograph of the Athenaeum below was taken by Matthew Brady in 1864 during the Civil War. Located in old town Alexandria, it was a bank building when it opened in 1851. After Alexandria fell to the North during the Civil War, it became a headquarters building of the Union Army. These are Union Army officers standing outside their HQ. Today, it is home to the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association (NVFAA).



1 comment:

Dean Grey said...

I absolutely love the pink exterior, Tracey!

I'm wondering what the original color was way back when.

-Dean